Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Hitchhiking to Amsterdam

The cheapest way to quickly get from Europe to Los Angeles and back I could find was to fly from Amsterdam. A few hours ago I booked a flight for Wednesday morning (33 hours from now). I'll hit the road in 6 hours with the first daylight to hitchhike the 750 kilometers from Dresden to Amsterdam. Hope to get there at night, will then hang out at Schiphol airport and take the flight in the morning (I'm not really gonna bother about finding a Hospitality Club host for the night in Amsterdam because I have no idea when I'll get there, maybe I'll reach the airport just in time, and I'd have to get up and leave very early again anyway).

Here's a little map of the route for you :-)



Update: made it to Amsterdam airport. Took about 9 hours with 4 drivers. Slow start in Dresden, then two very nice middle aged women and then one ride with a Dutch guy from behind Braunschweig all the way to Amsterdam. One last change to get to the airport - interesting older guy who just came back from ice skating 40 kilometers (yes, all the canals are frozen - Holland as we imagine it). He wants to take part in a 11-city-iceskating competition next week...200 kilometers in one day. Wow.

Now trying to find a nice and comfy place at the airport, have to get some sleep. Looking forward to LA and my Hospitality Club hosts there!

No comments:

Post a Comment