Friday, February 10, 2012

Gallery #1 - Beverly Hills

After flying halfway around the world I was eager to go to the first gallery and see my first spot prints in real life. It was an hour's walk from Adam and Eva's place, and a truly enjoyable one at 20 degrees, sunshine and with some geocaches along the route. Here are some pics of the gallery from the outside and peeking through the window.




Once inside, I registered for the challenge - my passport was scanned, hat to fill out a little form and then received my "visit 11 and get one free" card that will accompany me the next weeks:

I was just done registering when the most enjoyable part of the gallery visit started - meeting two other fellow "spot chasers". "Tonkatoytruck" walked in - Jason from New York had finished the challenge that moment. His picture was taken by the very friendly Gagosian gallery staff, and then we spent quite a bit of time talking about the trip. He was happy to finally meet someone also doing the challenge (I was the first one he met!), and I was of course happy to get encouragement right at the start. I'll probably get in touch with him again during my day in New York on Wednesday.
"tonkatoytruck" getting his picture taken after crossing the finishing line

A little later, I bumped into "galfromdownunder" - I almost immediately recognized from her blog - she had written about the challenge and then decided a few days ago to actually start doing it after all. We had a very nice chat, she filmed me a bit for her blog and then off she went in pursuit of further spots.

In between talking to my fellow spot travelers I took my time to look at the pictures - I actually kinda like them. I wouldn't pay thousands or millions of dollars to hang one on my wall, but to see a bunch of them in a nice gallery is surprisingly quite enjoyable. So hey, this challenge already achieved something: getting me to check out modern art for real and actually liking it :-) Below some pictures of the pictures.







No comments:

Post a Comment