Thursday, February 9, 2012

Greenland from above

A nice surprise while flying over the Atlantic from Amsterdam to Houston came halfway through the flight - I never realized those routes cross Greenland (I think in the past I might have flown at night or we took a more Southernly route).





There was no cloud cover around the coast so I got a really nice view of the snowcapped mountains, the ice drifting off, and of course the icebergs. Really strange to see those beauties again so unexpectedly - last winter we traveled thousands of kilometers to Antarctica to see them up close. Now some views from above.

Approaching the coast with ice drifting off.


Coast with icebergs




2 icebergs among drift ice



A last view of the Western coast of Greenland.


And then, before reaching Canada a lot of pack ice. I tried to spot some ice bears but couldnt see any ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment